Whether you’re hosting a Super Bowl party, cheering on your favorite college football team, or tailgating for a baseball game, these venison Philly cheese wonton bites are one of our favorites. I sure do love an excuse to eat more than I should every once in a while, especially when venison is involved!
My wife loves a classic Philly cheesesteak, so with the Kansas City Chiefs taking on the Philadelphia Eagles this Super Bowl this year, these appetizers are mandatory on our gameday menu. I think you’ll find them an easy and delicious way to incorporate venison into any party!
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 1-2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp each of:
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Venison Wonton Bites
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Season venison with paprika, parsley and oregano or your seasoning of choice.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Layer each cup of large muffin pan with two wonton wrappers and set aside. (If using a mini-muffin pan, use one wonton wrapper)
- Heat 1 tbsp butter on med-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Brown venison and drain, set aside.
- Using the same skillet, sauté peppers, onions, and mushrooms for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to low, add cooked venison and provolone cheese, stir until cheese is melted
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill wontons roughly ¾ of the way and top with additional provolone.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until wontons appear lightly golden.
- Serve hot!